Friday, January 06, 2006

Razor Paws

Alma seems to have provided her kittens with exceptionally sharp claws. Both Sergie and I were pretty scratched up by Henry, and Alma can take apart a shower curtain with just one swipe.

One of my friends got Soft Paws for her kitty when she adopted a baby. I decided to look into them. I bought a pack and, in reading the instructions, discovered that you have to trim kitty's claws before you put on the Soft Paws.

So, I got claw clippers. I haven't tried the Soft Paws yet, but trimming cat nails is surprisingly easy. Get them nice and relaxed in a snuggle, then clip a claw. Pet, pet, pet, clip. It's about the same rhythmn as petting a cat, rubbing the fur backwards, then petting them again. If you can do that for hours, keeping them pissed off, but not enough to leave, you know how to easily clip their claws.

One thing that I do want to mention: it looks like Soft Paws keeps the claw from retracting. It doesn't. I discovered upon clipping my cats' nails that the claw never fully retracts, it's just hidden between the pads in the hair. The Soft Paw cover just makes this more obvious.

On a down note, the ease of clipping the claws of two cats just makes me that much more angry at the people who declawed Orpheus. How could they be that inhumane for such a trifling inconvenience? Of course, I'm sure that people would be equally upset at my letting him outside. And they'd be right. But he LIKES being outside. He's not so appreciative of being declawed.

No comments: