Monday, October 03, 2005

All of your cats hiss

"Why do all of your cats hiss?" Jean asked me after experiencing a houseful of cats that sound like leaky balloons. I still don't know. But, I'd like to add a few more things that they all do to that list.

They bite when you pet them, and
They kill small animals.

Alma offed a shrew in the basement. I came down after it was all over. The sad part was that she kept batting it with her paw, as if to try to make it run again. Sorry, Alma, you broke it.

I would guess that the small dead mammals Sergie keeps finding in the yard are also shrews, and are killed by Orpheus. I'd prefer it if they were mice; shrews mostly eat earthworms and insects so I WANT them in my yard, but maybe not in the house. The O-man also had a small bird shoved deeply in his mouth, before Sergie rescued it. Apparently, she was just traumatized, so O can't add her to his kill list.

The supremely athletic twins haven't killed any mammals, though I wouldn't put it past them. They ARE the terror of any unfortunate insects who wander into our house. Insects are technically in the animal kingdom.

Maybe I could rent them out to an exterminator.

No comments: