Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Poor Kitties

This morning, I carefully dressed myself: jeans, denim shirt, leather gloves. It's time to take the cats to the vet. Today, everybody gets their last series of shots, and Henry and Athena get neutered.

I started with Athena. After surprisingly few laps around the room, I scruffed her and shoved her into the cat carrier (I prop them against the wall, so I can drop the cats down through the door). She is surprisingly strong and fast. I'm glad this is our last trip - I don't think I'll be able to catch her again.

She didn't meow, but I could feel a palpable sense of "Everything bad that's ever happened to me in my entire life is due to you." as she glared at me from the back of the cage.

Henry cowered on the top of Jean's cat cage. I picked him up and rubbed him against my cheek. I felt so bad, but it had to be done.

Alma was easy - a grab and stuff and we were done.

I slipped Enya into the tape deck: music soothes the savage beast. Nonetheless, there were additional backup singers.

Chorus
Alma: Yrow
Henry: Meow
Athena: Mew
... And a one more time!

Fast forward to now. I called the vet. Henry and Athena are waking up. I took the opportunity to get them tested and they're both FIV negative. Way to go, Alma! Her struggles were successful; she has raised two healthy kittens, who will NOT go on to reproduce.

No comments: