Saturday, June 11, 2005

Letter to No-Kill Shelters

I would like to ask for your help. I've rescued a Mama cat and her kittens, a boy and a girl, who were abandoned in my apartment complex. Both kittens (5-6 weeks old) are socializing quickly. I'd like to keep the Mama cat and foster the kittens until they can be adopted.

Now for the bad news: I took the Mama cat to the vet and she tested positive for exposure to FIV. Since I have a cat, I wouldn't be able to keep her unless she tests negative to the disease. I should get that information on Wednesday and will discuss options with my vet.

I'd like to start developing a contingincy plan for Mama and her babies if I get bad news. I've only got a couple of weeks from today to find another situation if she does, in fact, have FIV. Do you have the ability to care for cats that have FIV and, more importantly, would you have room?

I would, of course, pay for everybody's shots and spay/neutering. Also, if I can't keep her, I'd like to get a second cat - somebody who wants to stick their paws under a door for another cat.

Thanks so much,

Varda

No comments: