Monday, February 27, 2006

Cat Box Odor

Necessity is the mother of invention and eliminating cat box odor with four cats takes some work. Let me tell you how I do it.

I scoop daily using a Durascoop, the biggest metal scoop you've ever seen, and PetSmart's Exquisicat Premium Scoopable litter. I scoop everything in to one of those paper lunch bags you used to take to school with you. Bio-degradable, cheap, and exactly the right size for what I need. Then I sprinkle some Simple Solution cat litter odor remover on the top. It's the cats' job to work it in.

Every two weeks I dump the litter and put in fresh stuff. It seems like that's about all the litter can take - it gets slightly darker and doesn't absorb the smell, though it still clumps just fine.

When I fill up the tray, I sprinkle a layer of Ammo Cat in the bottom. The cats usually work this through the litter with their normal action. The one problem with it is that it's too big for the holes in the scoop. I can't use a scoop with bigger holes because we also have tiny clumps about the same size. I don't worry about it and just scoop the Ammo Cat too. It doesn't seem to run out by the time I change the litter. On the other hand, I might try using the Simple Solution only.

I wash the pans every couple (few) months. I might try the Simple Solution cat box cleaner, their products are great, but right now I just use Pine Sol.

No comments: