Friday, December 08, 2006

I don't have an MP3 player

I've just bought my first country song: Jason Aldine's Amarillo Sky. And I got it off the internet.

Amarillo Sky's a funny one for me 'cause it's got a fairly heavy country rythmn and sound (i.e. it uses a violin) though it's still "New Country." So, the first time I heard it, I liked the song, but I was sceptical about liking the sound. Now, I'm addicted.

So, I wanted to buy the song, not the album. I wanted to be able to burn the song to CD (for my personal use) or load it to an MP3 player, which I'll get sometime after the next coolest thing has hit the music industry. I-Tunes is great, if you have an I-Pod, but they're just too darn proprietary for my taste. Computers are all about personal choice, right? Who to choose, who to choose?

I picked Napster. After all, they've already had a well-publicized lawsuit, so they've probably got it down by now.

The one thing I'm worried about, is that Aldine's song Hicktown (which I also like) is listed as a "Radio Edit." I really want the ability to buy whatever version I want as computers are about personal choice, but I'm not worrying about that for now.

Also, it took a little bit to figure out the site. After all, I want to purchase on a song-by-song basis and Napster wants me to pay monthly, though they do offer "Napster Light" which is exactly what I want. Here are the steps I used, if you want to know:
  1. Register on Napster.
  2. Find a song you like.
  3. Click "Buy Track." This will prompt you to download the Napster software (which requires a restart).
  4. Go back to Napster, login and find a song you like.

  1. Click "Buy Track." You will be given payment options.
  2. Click the Library button on the top, right hand corner and watch your song download.
  3. Click the Purchased Tracks folder, once the song has finished downloading, and play your song.

No comments: